Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can you just burn a recorded Replay show to DVD?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> MPEG Editing / DVD Creation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wyzard
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Can you just burn a recorded Replay show to DVD? Reply with quote

Can I use DVArchive to import a movie I recorded on my Replay to my computer and then, using another program like MyDVD or something else, burn it directly to DVD without having to run it through another program first?

Thanks.
oops!
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not usually. Most dvd authoring software wants to re-encode a replay mpg. (takes way too long).

the two easiest ways i've found are to use revue or Womble to "clean" the file. Both will make a file the is compliant without re-encoding

revue is free and still being developed so it is a little quirky but very usable just save the create a file that is "cleaned for DVD authoring" Good for removing commercials too. Very fast

Womble is not free but they have a new version "mpeg video wizard" very nice very fast. Has made my dvd authoring world simple. Has 30 day free trial (fully operational). $99 to buy.

i then use ulead dvd movie factory 2 to create the dvd. ulead no longer wants to re-encode the file making creation a snap
JASTv
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded a movie from my replay 5080 with DVArchive. I was able to play the raw mpeg file with windows mediaplayer. Then I used DVD moviemaker to put it on DVD.

My only problem is I need to find an app that can create better chapters for the DVD. Takes WAY too long to do it manually.
cpoole117
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: revue link? Reply with quote

Does anybody have a link for the revue software? I was unable to find it via google.
billq
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://revue.sourceforge.net/
BlondAngelNYC
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have burned mpg files onto a DVD but I can only play the file from my computer. Normally this is not a big deal.
BlondAngelNYC
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you just burn a recorded Replay show to DVD? Reply with quote

When you use Ulead's movie factory, it has a setting called 'Do not convert compliant MPEG files'

When this setting is checked, when you burn a DVD, it will only encode (not convert) the mpeg onto a DVD. This is a very fast burn. I have used myDVD and my ordinary DVD player and the burned DVD plays just fine. Make sure you use DVD-R or DVD+R discs depending on your player. Do not use DVD-RW or DVD+RW discs -- it doesn't work that well. Some people have had success with RW but I didn't have any success.

When this setting is unchecked, when you burn a DVD, it will encode AND convert the mpeg onto a DVD. This takes a very long time and in my opinion, it is a waste of time.

Now, if you EDIT the mpeg file, then no matter if the setting is checked or not, the process will do BOTH encode and convert. And this will take a long time too.

I like the fast burn and I don't mind the commercials all that much.

Cheers,

Greg
oops!
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hint for looking looking things up on google:

don't just type something like "revue" you'll get too much stuff

I typed "revue replaytv" the revue site was right on top
oops!
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are a few dvd players that will play a raw replay file just burned to a dvd. whenever sombody finds one the usually post it here or on the avs forum so searching either will get you a few model numbers.

as far as dvd+rw's i have two dvd player one sonicblue that will rarely play an rw and a cheap cyberhome which plays every rw I give it. it basically depends on your dvd player
Robert Lowell
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: I'm Still Having Trouble Reply with quote

OK, Group:

I did (I think) what was suggested here. I'm still not getting video out of my brand new DVD player.

I installed a Philips DVP642 this morning. This player is supposed to be one of the most compatible/flexible players around.

When I couldn't get RTV-recorded MPEG2 files to play (I got audio, but not video), I read the planetreplay forums.

I downloaded/installed reVue 1.1 alpha 5.

I already had the RTV tools installed, and had used rtvconvert fairly frequently in the past.

Once in reVue, I told it where on my Win XP machine to find rtvedit.

I did a File Open and broght in the raw RTV-recorded MPEG.

I told it to create a new one. I used the attribute "Cleaned MPEG(For DVD Authoring)". I hit Create.

It created an MPEG (that still that the RTV event and index files along with it) in the same directory. The title had "CLN" appended to it. I used Nero and burned that to DVD.

I played it and got the same results.

Does this sound like a problem with the way I'm processing the video?

Or does this sound like a problem with my player?

Note that I produced output from WinAvi from something in a a non-MPEG format I downloaded from the Internet. The MPEG2 out of this plays fine on my player.

What do you smart people suggest? Thanks in advance.

Robert Lowell
superchuckels
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tried this on my el cheapo coby 224, and though it recognizes it immediately as MPEG & starts to play it, it almost immediately begins to go crazy with errors & at no time plays the audio - tried with dvd+r dvd+rw dvd-rw & even burning a short clip straight to a cd - all results were identical, but the disk(s) played in my computer without a hitch
MaxH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poopli Forum thread on DVD players that play Replay MPEGs without any alteration/reencoding.

One person's trash really can be another person's treasure. The Freecycle Network(tm).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Robert Lowell
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

MaxH:

Thanks. I'm a poopli member and should have remembered to look there for the answer. I only looked on planetreplay and avsforum.

I decided to keep the Philps DVD player.

By using the Moonlight Elecard media player, which I have a paid copy of on this machine, I can convert MPEG2s coming out of my '5040 to play fine on the Philips player.

This does take an extra step over just burning them to disk and playing them on the players discussed in the poopli thread. But it has the advantage of making these DVDs playable on a wider range of players.

rlowell
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> MPEG Editing / DVD Creation All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: