Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best <$100 DVD Player For Playing RTV-recorded MPEG2s

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> MPEG Editing / DVD Creation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert Lowell
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Best <$100 DVD Player For Playing RTV-recorded MPEG2s Reply with quote

Group:

There are a few DVDs that will play these files without any special treatment/editing.

I think Philips has one. Which is it?

My seven year old Proscan player is burning out. I don't want anything fancy. But I do want to play stuff on a DVD player without any hassles. Needs to handle MPEG2s in any of RTV's three quality levels.

Robert Lowell
Rao74311
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Best <$100 DVD Player For Playing RTV-recorded MPEG2s Reply with quote

Robert Lowell wrote:
Group:

There are a few DVDs that will play these files without any special treatment/editing.

There should be more than a few as any quality replay mpeg is "compliant". I've played STD. MED and HIGH quality mpegs on several players without re-encoding them. Does your proscan have problems with them?
Robert Lowell
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: No. It Doesn't Reply with quote

Rao74311:

Thanks for the quick post.

Can you provide some specific part numbers of the players that you've done this with?

Just to make sure I knew what I was talking about, I plugged a DVD with some high quality Replay-recorded MPEG2 files on it in to my player.

Not only did the player not play it, it turns itself off every time after going through the disk detection and reading algorithm. So I can't even get the disk back out of the player.

I really need a player that's newer.

Now it's my contention that the MPEG2 files that replay understands/records are NOT MPEG compliant. I know that from when I've used rtvconvert before (which gives the message that it's making them non-compliant) and I've also seen other posts to that effect in these forums.

So it's fairly clear to me that there are plenty of players out there that will not play a Replay-recorded MPEG.

I need to find out specific ones that do. Please help me if you have specifics. Thanks.

Robert Lowell
Robert Lowell
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: My Choice Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I just purchased and installed a Philips DVP642 player.

It plays sees the MPEG2 files on my disks and recognizes them as such (when I look it Disk/Menu).

It plays the sound fine. But there's no video.

Robert Lowell
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> MPEG Editing / DVD Creation All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: