Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any MAC OS X user out there?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> MPEG Editing / DVD Creation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvortex
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 1:13 pm    Post subject: Any MAC OS X user out there? Reply with quote

I have replay TV 5060 and DV Archive... however, I am having problems crunching them into my DVD either as DVD or VCD... all the solutions here seemed to be windows centric... anybody out there using MAC and have solutions?

Thanks in advance
ilatimer
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the procedure that I use to transfer movies from my ReplayTV to DVD.

First I download the movie using DVArchive.

Second I run goppler to prepair movie for DVD

Third I just drag and drop into CaptyDVD and process

Last I burn VIDEO_TS folder using Toast.

iLatimer
dvortex
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm, thanks for the quick reply but can you let me know where to find the program? Are they opensoure shareware? I am new at this.

Thanks
holgrim
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ilatimer-

what does goppler do to the mpeg? I usually throw the replay file into Capty directly.

Any idea how to edit out commercials without re-encoding? Do you happen to have Pixela's 'PixeDV'?

dvortex-

CaptyDVD is a DVD authoring software from Pixela, it comes bundled with some video capture hardware (ADS Technology's USB Instant DVD for Mac, for example) or some DVD burners. You'll find info about 'DVArchive' here on this site. For downloading the files from the Replay I prefer using 'MacReplayTV'.

Here are some useful links:

http://versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/18299

http://homepage.mac.com/rnc/

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/galactica/macvideo.htm
Korat
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 12:10 pm    Post subject: OS X users Reply with quote

Hi,

I have been using bbDEMUX to rip the Mpeg2 into it's two parts Audio and video, than I put them into Transcoder and it creates the VIDEO_TS folder ready to burn.

It dose re-encode if need or make it fit on one DVDr. This has it's good and bad points.

I couldn't find any info on goppler... What is it?

BD
geekmom
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in a similar pickle. I've got access to all sorts of software, but I can't seem to get it to work yet. I used bbdemuxer to demux the mpegs, but I can't find something to convert the mp1 to mp3, and without the audio, I'm screwed. I really want to edit out the commercials before I burn to DVD. I'd like to use Final Cut Pro, but I can't get it to read mp1s.
holgrim
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I tried so far:

1)

After demuxing a ReplayTV mpeg2 file with 'bbDemux', I used the 'More Missing Tools' to convert the mp1 into wav audio. I then imported the wav file together with the original mpeg into 'Final Cut Pro' (the audio of the mpeg file is being ignored).

I was able to cut out the commercials this way, but... the decoding (rendering) and re-encoding (exporting) in Final Cut Pro took a long time, and the final outcome was blurry and pixelated.

Bottom line: Not worth time and effort.

2)

I imported the Replay mpeg into 'CaptyDVD', set chapter markers at beginning and end of the commercial blocks, created a DVD image and mounted it with 'Toast'. I then tried to rip this image with 'OSEx', a software for copying and decrypting commercial DVDs. It allows you to segment the VOB files by chapter! I thought that this was a nice workaround to get rid of the commercials... but 'OSEx' crashed every time I attempted to use it on my created images, or on my previously burned DVDs. It seems that this software can only process encrypted DVDs.

Bottom line: great, if it would work.

I'm still looking for MAC software that can edit mpeg2 without re-encoding. There are a couple apps out there in the Windows world that do this, unfortunately I wasn't able to make them run in VirtualPC.
geekmom
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:56 am    Post subject: Score! Reply with quote

Between bbDemux and another unix port, called ffMpegX, I managed to get a demuxed mpeg and an mp3 out of the thing. I was able to edit in Final Cut Pro and render a final mp2 for DVD pro.
timvroom
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:04 am    Post subject: CaptyDVD Reply with quote

Where can i buy or download a copy of CaptyDVD? I dont want to buy $250 mpeg hardware. I don't mind paying for the software...i just need to know where to get it...if it is even available for purchase.

Does anyone know how to make DVD stuido pro recognize the .m1a and .m2v files that are created by bbDemux?

thanks

tim
s.bradford
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Any MAC OS X user out there? Reply with quote

[quote="dvortex"]I have replay TV 5060 and DV Archive... however, I am having problems crunching them into my DVD either as DVD or VCD... all the solutions here seemed to be windows centric... anybody out there using MAC and have solutions?

Thanks in advance[/quote]

If you have Toast 6 you can burn replayTV files directly to VCD, SVCD, and DVD (single step).

If you want to edit... Check out:

http://www.solutionsetcetera.com/replay/
jofo
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Any MAC OS X user out there? Reply with quote

s.bradford wrote:

If you have Toast 6 you can burn replayTV files directly to VCD, SVCD, and DVD (single step).

If you want to edit... Check out:

http://www.solutionsetcetera.com/replay/

I was unable to do this. I tried plopping a rtv mpeg into toast (as well one that was run through goppler) and it told me i should select Video CD in my MPEG encoder/multiplexer.

What do you think is the missing step?
JustinSail
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:27 pm    Post subject: making a VCD from replayTV files or a DVD ... Reply with quote

I was also unable to use Toast 6 to work with my replayTv files to burn a VCD. It gets about 1/8th of the way through the first "preparing" step and then pronounce my mpeg file to be "incomplete" and stops. All of them do this, even though they look fine in the Video window. Very frustrating since I've been waiting so patiently for Toast....after failing with MacReplayTV, iVCD, and many others.

[b]what gives? why is this so friggin hard?[/b]

(I've got a 5040 and am running OS X Jaguar 10.2.8 on a G4 dual 450)
kevindyche
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: was anyone able to figure this out? Reply with quote

was anyone able to figure out how to burn a dvarchive file from replaytv to a dvd using toast?
cml
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Any Mac OSX users out there? Reply with quote

I've had success using two different processes. The one I currently prefer is a combination of mpegstreamclip and Toast 6. Basically, you open the file in mpegstreamclip, cut all the commercials, and save the file. Then you drag the mpegs to Toast 6 and make the dvd. I have an old slow G4 running 10.3.5 and this works pretty well if you are patient. The Toast part is the slowest. You need the quicktime mpeg2 component for the mpeg streamclip part.

the other method that worked was using elmpeg to mark the commercials and create the edit file, replaytv toolshell to cut the commercials and convert the file, and finish up with Toast 6. I had lots of trouble with both the replay tools and the toolshell and just couldn't figure out what was wrong. So it worked, but was very slow and had way too many steps.
gilbreen
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cml,

When you run the mpeg through mpegstreamclip and you cut the commercials, what type of file do you save it as?

Does it have to re-encode the file or is it pretty fast?

I like elmpeg, but alot of my files are over 2GB and the posted workaround is tedious.
cml
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just save it as whatever the default is (i.e. I've never changed that setting, just hit ok when the save dialog comes up). I have a fairly old computer and it probably takes under 15 minutes for an 860 MB file. It goes significantly faster if you leave it as the frontmost application.

Hope that helps.
Drakino
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Mac OSX users out there? Reply with quote

cml wrote:
The one I currently prefer is a combination of mpegstreamclip and Toast 6. Basically, you open the file in mpegstreamclip, cut all the commercials, and save the file. Then you drag the mpegs to Toast 6 and make the dvd. I have an old slow G4 running 10.3.5 and this works pretty well if you are patient. The Toast part is the slowest. You need the quicktime mpeg2 component for the mpeg streamclip part.

Just tried this, and the resulting DVD has some real nasty interlacing issues when played back on a progressive DVD player. I also seemed to loose a lot of DVD space using Toast 6. It was nearly full at 80 minutes of video.

For the people using other solutions, is interlacing an issue? I think the best thing would be to somehow deinterlace it before putting it on a DVD, avoiding any issues a deintelacer in a DVD player may add.

Last edited by Drakino on Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
cml
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't watched that many of the dvds all the way through, but where I have watched, they appear to have the same level of quality as a standard quality Replay recording. Every once in a while there is a little glitch. At this quality level, I am fitting 7 appx. 42-minute shows on each DVD.
skree
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: how I do it... Reply with quote

I use DVArchive to bring the shows over. Then, DropDV to convert. It makes a single file that is easier to work with. Then I use Final Cut Express to edit out the commercials. Toast 6 for burning. It all works pretty well. You can also use iMovie on the finished DropDV files. At least iMovie is free.

DropDV takes a while, I start them converting before I go to work. Edit when I get home.

I used to use goppler, CaptyMpegEdit, and CaptyDV. That also worked but the japanese buttons drove me crazy.
cml
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Another method for making DVDs on OSX Reply with quote

Lately I've been getting a lot of corrupted files with the mpegstreamclip method. Toast always says there is a problem with the source material and gives a minus 18774 error.

So here is an alternate method for creating DVDs that also works. I could do it more simply following the motogrrl instructions located here: http://motogrrl.com/replayTV/replay_to_dvd.html, but I've never been able to get replaytv tools to work properly on my computer. This method also lets you make the time cuts very precisely.

1. Transfer files with mReplay (available here http://www.bentpixel.com/fbm/) (my preference, downloads faster) or DVArchive (available here http://www.dvarchive.org/).
2. Open the mpg file with Elmpeg (available here: http://webpages.charter.net/cloutier34/mpeg/elmpeg.html). It may take a while to create the timeline.
3. Select all the stop and start times by dragging the slider and clicking start or stop. You can fine tune with the keys along the bottom. It seems to be able to cut to within a half second.
4. After the last stop time is set, close the file. There is no need to save.
5. Open ReplayTVToolshell (http://www.solutionsetcetera.com/replay/). On the Dump tab, dump the file as described in the motogrrl instructions.
6. On the Edit tab, select the dump file you just created and click edit.
7. In the Finder, open the filename-rtvedit.txt file created by elmpeg. Select all and copy.
8. In ReplayTVToolshell, select all the text in the dump file you are editing, and paste in the filename-rtvedit text. Click Save. (At this point, I would make sure Assume frame times is NOT checked, but YMMV.)
9. Click Process Files. After the new file is created, you can double check the edit locations by reviewing the filename-bpoint.txt file, which contains the timepoints right after the cuts in the new file. I usually just make sure the new file is the right length.
10. Follow the convert instructions from the motogrrl instructions.

I finish up by burning in Toast 6. If nothing else is running, my 400 mhz G4 does the edit and convert in 5-6 minutes. When I'm doing multiple files, I just keep editing the exact same dump file over and over again, instead of creating a new one for each mpg.

This process also requires Apple's QuickTime 6 MPEG-2 Playback Component http://www.apple.com/quicktime/products/mpeg2playback/ and ReplayTV 5k Tools (revision 4) (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=314017&highlight=RTVTools [/url]
ultrazero
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Another method for making DVDs on OSX Reply with quote

cml wrote:

1. Transfer files with mReplay (available here http://www.bentpixel.com/fbm/) (my preference, downloads faster) or DVArchive (available here http://www.dvarchive.org/).
2. Open the mpg file with Elmpeg (available here: http://webpages.charter.net/cloutier34/mpeg/elmpeg.html). It may take a while to create the timeline.
3. Select all the stop and start times by dragging the slider and clicking start or stop. You can fine tune with the keys along the bottom. It seems to be able to cut to within a half second.
4. After the last stop time is set, close the file. There is no need to save.
5. Open ReplayTVToolshell (http://www.solutionsetcetera.com/replay/). On the Dump tab, dump the file as described in the motogrrl instructions.
6. On the Edit tab, select the dump file you just created and click edit.
7. In the Finder, open the filename-rtvedit.txt file created by elmpeg. Select all and copy.
8. In ReplayTVToolshell, select all the text in the dump file you are editing, and paste in the filename-rtvedit text. Click Save. (At this point, I would make sure Assume frame times is NOT checked, but YMMV.)
9. Click Process Files. After the new file is created, you can double check the edit locations by reviewing the filename-bpoint.txt file, which contains the timepoints right after the cuts in the new file. I usually just make sure the new file is the right length.
10. Follow the convert instructions from the motogrrl instructions.

I finish up by burning in Toast 6. If nothing else is running, my 400 mhz G4 does the edit and convert in 5-6 minutes. When I'm doing multiple files, I just keep editing the exact same dump file over and over again, instead of creating a new one for each mpg.

This is the best workflow I've seen so far. Very fast and accurate. Thanks! I think you can be more accurate with your cuts in elmpeg rather than mpegstreamclip.
ShalomOrchardWinery
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: ReplayTv to DVD on Mac OSX Reply with quote

I download shows with DVArchive or MReplay; MacReplayTV doesn't work
for me.

I have Apple MPEG2 Playback Component, so I can edit the files from DVarchive with MPEGStreamClip and cut out the commercials. That way I can fit two episodes on one DVD, which I burn with Toast 6. Toast 6 does the mux/demux jazz. I save the video from MPEGStreamClip with "Convert to MPEG...". It doesn't have any options, so I don't know exactly how it's saved, but it works. I record everything I want to put on DVD on High Quality.

I have not been able to get most of the other professed video tools to work: ReplayTools etc. I'm just happy I finally found a method that works well. The slowest thing is Toast 6 doing the mux/demux.

Good luck, Jim.
prplchkj
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: ReplayTv to DVD on Mac OSX Reply with quote

ShalomOrchardWinery wrote:
I download shows with DVArchive or MReplay; MacReplayTV doesn't work
for me.

I have Apple MPEG2 Playback Component, so I can edit the files from DVarchive with MPEGStreamClip and cut out the commercials. That way I can fit two episodes on one DVD, which I burn with Toast 6. Toast 6 does the mux/demux jazz. I save the video from MPEGStreamClip with "Convert to MPEG...". It doesn't have any options, so I don't know exactly how it's saved, but it works. I record everything I want to put on DVD on High Quality.

I have not been able to get most of the other professed video tools to work: ReplayTools etc. I'm just happy I finally found a method that works well. The slowest thing is Toast 6 doing the mux/demux.

Good luck, Jim.

Hi,

I've been checking the forum on this topic and have gotten more confused. I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what the heck I'm doing.

I'm on Mac OS 10.3.9. Thus far going from DVArchive ->MPEG Streamclip

I've got the files from the Replay to my mac and edited out the commercials. Here's where I get confused. I can export the files to quicktime, import them in to iDVD and burd a disc with 2 eps on it that look just fine for what I need to do.

But iDVD is taking several hours to encode the files. Because of the information I've seen here I think I'm making extra work that doesn't have to be done. It's been repeatedly stated that mpeg2 format is ready to burn. I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

iDVD does NOT take mpeg2 as inport data so I figure I need a different program to generate my menus and do the burn. Is it really that simple or is every authoring program going to have to take the 3-8 hours to do the data conversion?

Should I not export at all and just save from MPEGStreamclip?

There are a million (well okay, quite a few) export options in MPEGStreamclip. Is it as simple as I should be exporting to a different format in order to get iDVD to generate a useable DVD that does NOT require all the re-encoding.

If a different package is the recommendation are there any suggestions? Is Toast 7 worth it?

I hope my rambling isn't too unclear. I'm so confused at the moment I'm not sure I'm speaking English.

Thanks

Prplchk
ShalomOrchardWinery
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just use the Convert/Save as MPEG in MPEGStreamClip. I use Toast to burn, which is what works for me.

I'm using BitTorrent these days to download video from the internet, and save an entire season to two DVDs in AVI format. Not flawless video,
but works for me.

Jaimes Beam
prplchkj
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShalomOrchardWinery wrote:
Just use the Convert/Save as MPEG in MPEGStreamClip. I use Toast to burn, which is what works for me.

Jaimes Beam

Right now I am using MPEGStreamClip to convert to mpeg. The problem is iDVD is taking anywhere from 4 - 8 hours to process the data (this is before the DVD writing even begins).

How long does Toast take?
ShalomOrchardWinery
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toast 6 takes about an hour to burn two hours of video to a DVD.
Toast will even set up a menu for you. Not as fancy as iDVD, but it works
well enough for me.

Jim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> MPEG Editing / DVD Creation All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: