Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do i convert replaytv files to mpeg so I can burn them

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> MPEG Editing / DVD Creation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bubbakja
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: How do i convert replaytv files to mpeg so I can burn them Reply with quote

I understand that dvarchive will let you put replay tv shows onto a hard drive but how do I convert them to mpeg files so I can use a dvd authoring tool and put them on a dvd that can be played on a dvd player like a sony or toshiba through a tv. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
j.m.
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are already MPEG-2, which is the format needed for DVD. If you record your shows at medium quality, the resulting ReplayTV .mpg files can be burned as is to DVD once you've transfered them to your PC.
ynotme1965
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:43 am    Post subject: How about low quality? Reply with quote

Can I somehow burn my low quality level recorded shows to a DVD? Do I have to convert them? If so, with what?
sportsgeek
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:00 pm    Post subject: Tranferring to PC Reply with quote

I need to know how to transfer the file to the PC so I can burn a regular CD. Is there a way to tranfer it to the PC using a network? Do I need to change the MPEG format?

Is the file size too big to copy a 1/2 hour show [medium] onto a 700MB CD? This might take 2MB of space on the hard drive.
TAfirehawk
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j.m. wrote:
They are already MPEG-2, which is the format needed for DVD. If you record your shows at medium quality, the resulting ReplayTV .mpg files can be burned as is to DVD once you've transfered them to your PC.

What if I have some High Quality ReplayTV .MPG files?
SS
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:49 am    Post subject: Mac OSX DVD Authoring Reply with quote

Somebody needs to come up with a tutorial with step by step directions for getting RePlay mpg's onto a DVD. They need to cover both High, Medium and Low Quality files.

Most people with OS X have iMovie and iDVD so if those apps will work so much the better. If Final Cut Pro does the job.. Whatever it takes but there are just too many unanswered threads here with bits and pieces but nothing definitivefor Mac users that I can easily find.

Personally I don't know why anyone would want to waste the time to put Low Quality stuff on DVD as video tape is better at that point. Just hook up your old VCR to the RePlay there. But that's a different topic.

"I didn't claw my way to the top of the food
chain to eat veggies OR drive a Ford."

Sony KF-70XBR950, 5060, Showstopper 2000 (120GB), 2-Sony T60 DirecTivo's (160GB), TS160 HD DirecTV
TAfirehawk
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE:

I downloaded the latest Nero, both packages, and it does EVERTHING for all quality MPG's.

All I use is Nero and DVarchive and it works GREAT. Nero even has an editor that I can manually take out the commercials, which is needed for (2) 1 hour episodes to fit on one DVD-R.
matchbx
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAFirehawk, when you say "Nero, both packages" exactly are you talking about.

I recently purchased a 5504. Hooked it up to my Linksys Wireless Cable Gateway. I have installed dvarchive and downloaded several programs to my computer. But, I having problems transfering the mpg to dvd.

You seem to have the simpliest senerio I've seen. Can you play the dvd-r's on your regular dvd player?

matchbx
Syclone
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy Nero for $7.95 that has the required program(Vision Express 2).
(alternatively you can buy Nero 6.0 Ultra for $75-$90)

You will want OEM Suite 3. The OEM suite 1 and 2 will only have Vision Express 2SE wich will NOT allow you to import any files for editing...SE will only allow you to capture vidoe from a video cam.

Buy it here for $7.95:
http://www.softwareandstuff.com/SWW12252.html

I bought mine from them and you need not buy anything else to get it (ie hardware).

Nero works well with the Replaytv files and I had no issues with 1/2 hour shows or less. When I tried to do 2 hour shows, the published/edited movies showed severe audio sync problems always getting worse the further into the show you watched.

I found a free solution in Rtvtools. Check my post in this forum about rtv tools and my "Newbie help" in the RTVtools forum.

It works very well for me.

-Jeff
matchbx
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I have Nero OEM 3 (I purchased a copy on ebay and used the keycode provided to activate an existing install, I need to reinstall Nero completely.

I downloaded rtvtools this morning before going to work, so I have not had a chance to play with it yet.

When I get home I'm going to reinstall nero and attempt to use rtvedit/convert, then burn with nero.

Thanks, for the info.

matchbx
TAfirehawk
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matchbx wrote:
I believe I have Nero OEM 3 (I purchased a copy on ebay and used the keycode provided to activate an existing install, I need to reinstall Nero completely.

I downloaded rtvtools this morning before going to work, so I have not had a chance to play with it yet.

When I get home I'm going to reinstall nero and attempt to use rtvedit/convert, then burn with nero.

Thanks, for the info.

matchbx

You don't need to use RTVtools at all with Nero, that is the beauty of it. Yes it costs money, from $8 to $70 but using just ONE, very easy program to do it all is very nice. I didn't see an option for an $8 version but I don't mind paying for such a useful program.....hadn't used nero since about version 3, used Roxio for years now.

I have no trouble with 1 hour shows (med and high quality) but haven't tried any longer. And there is only room on one disc for about 108 min of high quality ReplayTV recording.
Syclone
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that 1/2 hour shows are no problem, I did not try 1 hour ones. But it is DEFINTELY a problem with a 2 hour movie. The last 15 minutes looked like a real bad Oriental dubbed movie. - completely unacceptable.

RTV tools will take care of it for you - then Nero.

SO,
Use Nero - if you have the audiosync issues, then use RTV tools (best of all RTV tools is free!).

-Jeff
tonywillman
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: reply to authoring software Reply with quote

check out the dvd authoring software recommendations topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> MPEG Editing / DVD Creation All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: