Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cable TV PVRs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jleavens
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: Cable TV PVRs Reply with quote

Anyone out here have some experience with cable tv DVRs? I haven't had a chance to play with any of them, so I'm curious as to their quality these days.
jinjimbob
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the Comcast's Motorola 6208 for one month, the only good thing about it is that it recorded HD programming.

The user interface was very poor, playback was jerky and pixelisation was high. The tv-guide interface was terrible, but I hear that that might be getting replaced by a Microsoft version.
Jones
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jinjimbob wrote:
I had the Comcast's Motorola 6208 for one month, the only good thing about it is that it recorded HD programming.

The user interface was very poor, playback was jerky and pixelisation was high. The tv-guide interface was terrible, but I hear that that might be getting replaced by a Microsoft version.

Yep what he said. The only good thing is that it records HD. But the hard drive is so small I can not record all the HD programming that I would like. 7-10 hours is not e-nuff.

I use my 3 5040's for all SD stuff........................Come on DNNA release a cablecard HDTV DVR
TheDreamer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once upon a time, I had the SA8000 DVR...SD w/80GB HDD for recording digital channels (instead of doing the STB controlled by a ReplayTV).

It was terrible...hard to use, buggy, losing/missing shows, etc. And limited storage. The only nice thing was the dual tuners.

Eventually, the problems became too severe that I had them take it away...and I got a ReplayTV 5080 and an STB.

More recently...I got HD....so I got the SA8000HD DVR. It has a 160GB HDD, but HD shows are more than double the size of SD shows...so I have even less recording time....about 14-15 hours. So, now the way I see it...the only good thing is that it is true HD.

This is because I also have a couple of ReplayTVs recording downconverted HD from OTA receivers....and the result is acceptable (definitely better than analog source...and depending on what the show is...the loss might not be noticeable.) But, the key is that recording at medium on my ReplayTV with a 160GB HDD...I can have up to 80 hours of programming. My second box is the recently acquired 5040 refurb which I upgraded to a 250.

I would really like to see a cablecard HD DVR with ReplayTV software...though I don't know if I'll wait if somebody comes out with a cablecard HD DVR of any kind that is better than the cable company one.

The Dreamer
Jones
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I will not wait either. If a Tivo hit the market with an cablecard, I would jump on it..............If it's under $500.00.
ianken
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the 6412 running Microsoft TV.

It's "OK" Not a complete POS but nowhere near as good as the Replay. It does record HD, and can record two HD shows at once. But with only 120GB of storage and no extneral expansion story you;re very limited.

And NO 30 SECOND SKIP. None. For this reason it is relegated to HD only while the Replays handle SD.
butlermd
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ianken wrote:

And NO 30 SECOND SKIP. None. For this reason it is relegated to HD only while the Replays handle SD.

I was able to program a 30 sec. skip as the command is available. I think it was not included in the remote to appease advertisers.

If your remote has a "setup" button follow this procedure...

Here is the exact procedure to program a swap or 30 second skip to the remote.

1) Press the "Cable" button at the top of the remote to put it into Cable Box control mode.
2) Press and hold the "Setup" button until the "Cable" button blinks twice.
3) Type in the code 994. The "Cable" button will blink twice
4) Press (do not hold) the "Setup" button
5) Type in the code 00173 (for 30 second Skip) or 00236 (for Swap).
6) Press whatever button you want to map the skip or swap function to.
rconnjr
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, I did that and it worked for the 30 second advance, BUT i noticed that I lost the ability to switch between tuners......any idea how to fix that??

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

use the same procedure to remap a swap button using code "00236".
butlermd
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
use the same procedure to remap a swap button using code "00236".

didn't get logged in for some reason...that guest was me.
let me know if your still having trouble.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a replay unit that needs repair.

Anyone out there know of a reliable person who can fix this unit (5000)?

It's fried ...and I miss it!

Thanks....
Lynn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> Other PVRs All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: