Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

transfering shows to other devices

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrGlass
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: transfering shows to other devices Reply with quote

im a newb to replaytv. I want to transfer shows from the rtv to other devices, such as my desktop or ibook. I was wondering if there any techniques on how to do so?
_Cypher_
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

download and install DVArchive, you'll need the java 1.4.2 runtime already installed for it to work, once installed it should be able to detect your replay unit when you start up the program. Then it is just a matter of drag and drop. Any other question you have could be answered either on this forum under the DVArchive link or at DVArchive.org's forum. DVArchive.org also has a pretty good FAQ area to search through that should answer most of your question.
_Cypher_

http://www.dvarchive.org/DVArchive_Downloads.shtml
MrGlass
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a dsl modem coupled with a linksys router. The ReplayTV is connected to the router with the dsl. When I select the option to open up my ReplayTV, it asks for my ip address and port number. It is already set at port 80 but Im not sure where to find out what the port is. Also the DVArchive application is REALLY SLOW. Is there anyway to make it run faster? Or is there another application that has the same functionality as DVArchive?
Joann
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DVArchive is a great program, no question about it. If you're running OS X on your ibook or desktop, then check out MReplay.

http://www.flyingbuttmonkeys.com/mReplay/

It doesn't have all of DVArchive's bells and whistles, but for transferring replay files it's faster, optimized for OS X.
MrGlass
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my biggest question is this, "How do I hook up the replay unit to my computer?" Do I directly link the ethernet cable from my comp to the unit? I am really confused when concerning the whole physically hook up.
grapeshot
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a diagram:

1. DVArchive is really slow to start, and it takes a while to find the TV listings. However, it isn't glacial, either. But don't start DVArchive just yet.

2. After you've hooked up the Replay to your router, cycle power on the Replay. (People say that you just press and hold the power button on your remote for about 10 seconds, but that never works for me. I always have to pull the power plug, leave it off for about 10 to 15 seconds, and then plug it back in.) Turn the ReplayTV back on. Let it cycle through it's start up screens.

3. Do you have the Linksys manual?? You should be able to open up your Linksys router configuration screen on your computer:
Open your browser, type in "http://192.168.1.1/" -- without the quotation marks.
Then you'll get a little dialog box where it asks you for your name and password. The default is no name, and the default password is "admin".
This should open up your Linksys configuration. That should look something like this:

Click on "Status", then on "local networks", and then on "DHCP Clients".

You should see a table pop up that should show all the IP addresses of your devices on your network:

If everything worked right, you should see your computer and your Replay (although it might not have a nice neat name like mine does. I think you set the name in your Replay setup menu, but I forget if that's absolutely true. Anyway, the proper name is a minor detail and not really all that important. Except to anal retentive types like me.)

If you're Replay is already on your router, then you may not have to do that cycling power on and off bit. But you should still check and make sure that your router sees both your Replay and your Computer.

Now your router configuration screens may not be exactly like mine were, but if your poke around enough, you should be able to find the DHCP Client table. By the way, if you don't have a router manual, you should be able to get it from Linksys's website.

Now make sure that your computer's firewall will allow Replay to send stuff to your computer. I don't know what firewall program you have, but I've made a little Flash file which shows how I set up my ZoneAlarm firewall. (I'm sorry, but I can't help you with any other brand of firewall. ZoneAlarm is free, and if it's free, it's for me.) You can download it here

Next, you can start DVArchive, and see if it sees the Replay. If it doesn't, try to open your Replay unit from DVArchive.

Here's what you should see if everything went right:

If DVArchive doesn't see your Replay, try opening it manually. Click on "File" (in the upper left hand corner), then on "Open DVR". You should get a dialog box like this:

You'll have to type in the IP address of your Replay unit. (Which you can either get from your Replay Setup menu, or from your router's DHCP Client Table.) In my case, my Replay's IP address is 192.168.1.102

If that doesn't work, you can search and search and look for the DVARchive forum, which has a "stickie" thread (that's a thread that's stuck to the top of the forum) that talks about the trouble-shooting steps for figuring out what may be wrong with your network.

Don't Panic.
If I can figure it out, you can too.
PM me if you're really stuck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> Replay 5K Tools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: