Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guide my development focus

View previous topic :: View next topic  

In what area of reVue development should I focus next?
Improved scene/block detection for better AutoSkip
21%
 21%  [ 4 ]
Frame-level control of block times, frame adv/rewind
47%
 47%  [ 9 ]
Better, more feature-rich block editing
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Better playback features
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Better video creation capabilities
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Better integration with DVArchive
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 19

ksb
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 7:00 am    Post subject: Guide my development focus Reply with quote

I'd like some help in guiding the development of reVue.

Those of you who followed the reVue threads on the AVS Forum know that I wrote reVue to get a player that supported commercial-advance/auto-skip. Features such as editing scenes, working with RTVtools, integration with Windows Media Encoder, and linkage with DVA were added later, but weren't my focus.

As reVue grows up (it was only started in October 2003) it's time to look for what areas need bug fixes and/or enhancement and what new things are needed. Feel free to vote below. Please add clarifying comments when you vote so I understand what kinds of things you're looking for in each area.
jleavens
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very interested in coordination with the Replay 5k Tools. I like the ability to watch a show, tweak the editing points, and then use RTV Tools to slice and dice it into the MPEG I want at the end. So the improvements I think I'd like would be to the edit point capabilities.
drosenth
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken,

My request is simple (to me) but possibly difficult for you - I want to be able to view streaming video via DVArchive from my Replay. I use reVue with DVA to watch shows I have downloaded, but the streaming aspect will be GREAT. The new release of VLC is finally working for me (no distortion), but the Fast Forward piece doesn't work very well.

Any idea on when this might be available?

Thanks,
DaveR

PS - GREAT APP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ksteele
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for Frame-level control of block times, frame adv/rewind
ksb
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The streaming problem is a big one. Gerry has been great and has done all that he can to help the streaming process. However, WMP will not stream from anything other than a Widows Media server.

I have tried implementing buffering (which is, I believe, what VLC does), but WMP won't open the buffer file that I'm writing to because it's already open. If anyone knows how to get around that, I'd sure love to know and could release the buffering code in under a week.
ksb
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frame-level controls is also a WMP issue, but I'm looking into it.
mpbono
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for better frame level control that stays in sync with the actual MPEG file.

Going through the process of editting out commercials and creating a new MPEG file takes a little time. But after saving the file, the commercial blocks are skewed, so that I get 5 to 25 seconds of commercial, and lose that amount of content. Very frustrating!

I would be happy to purchase a better (non-MS) codec, or a shareware version of reView, if that is what it takes.

This is a great program (even it it does use MS's codecs!)

Thanks for the hard work!
==mpb
Wrecks
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Virtual Dub to get the exact keyframe times of scene changes to edit out the commercials. The main problem with this is that Virtual Dub shows the time in hours:minutes:seconds.miliseconds while ReVue uses the RTVtools format of minutes:seconds.miliseconds which is different from Virtual Dubs after the first hour of the show.

I ended up writing myself a program to convert them, but using a seperate program can be cumbersome.

It would be great if ReVue would allow you to specify which time format to use, because unfortunatly Virtual Dub does not.
ksb
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrecks, I'm not sure what you want, but I'm interested. Do you want reVue to create files that Virtual Dub can read or do you want it to convert Virtual Dub-style times to RTVtools-style times so that RTVtools can act on the file?

Also, if you want Virual Dub to do the edits, is it command line controllable or object controllable? If so, maybe I can add the ability for reVue to invoke Virtual Dub.
icecow
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At risk of T-Boning the direction ksb might be thinking I'd like to see more development towards fileting (editing out commercials) and batch converting shows to PPCs.

The most natural time to grab a part of a show and archive it is awhile I'm watching it for pleasure. If something is good enough to save I'm going to realize that awhile I'm watching it for the first time.

Most people don't have an archive of the shows/parts of shows that they really want. What they have in their archive is the same stuff as what they happened to load up when they decided to deal with an editor (an editor that is usually cumbersome with features and not task specific).

Here's the thigns I'd like to do:
quickly crop scenes that I like and save them in rtv format (like grabbing one dish from a cooking show)

quickly crop out commercials from whole shows and save them to a DVA database indefinately.

Batch convert shows to PPC format (both to load up on my PPC and also to deep archive shows (shows in PPC format are about 52 megs for a half hour, I could have the whole series of OC take up less then a gig (about the size of a CDR).

I could do thinks like hang out in starbucks, start a conversion just before I leave and plug my laptop into the cigarette lighter and have the thing converted by the time I got to and out of the grocery store (or at least a heck of a great start)

I'd like to use XP's Remote Desktop to log on to my always running server from my laptop and transfer shows from DVA then stop by again later and batch convert these shows to PPC format freeing up my harddrive space.

It would be nice if there was a 320 x 240 format that could both stream from DVA to a replayTV and be played on a PPC.

I know I'm asking too much, but I'm really just brainstorming and sharing my unabridged wants.

I'll stop there.

I didn't vote, btw. I wrote the post instead

cow
Wrecks
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ksb wrote:
Do you want reVue to create files that Virtual Dub can read or do you want it to convert Virtual Dub-style times to RTVtools-style times so that RTVtools can act on the file?
The second one.

I use Virtual Dub's "scene change detection" funcion to locate the exact start and end positions of the commercials. I then plug those times into ReVue's "Edit Show" box. When the start and end times are all correct, I have ReVue create a new video using the RTV tools.

The problem with this process is that Virtual Dub always displays the scene change time as hours:minutes:seconds.miliseconds which is different from the minutes:seconds.miliseconds format of the RTVtools when the show is longer than an hour.

For instance, Virtual Dub might indicate that a scene change occurs at "01:23:45.678" which is "83:45.678" to ReVue and the RTVtools.

I've written a program to do the conversion for me, but it would be really great if I could just plug a time like "01:23:45.678" into ReVue and not have to run anything through a seperate program for conversion.

I can offer you the VB4 source code of my program for doing the conversion, but it's a bit of a kludge and isn't commented anywhere, nor is it hardened for general use.
lwizardl
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi. I'm not sure why this is but revue (all versions i have tried upto 1.1a5)

the program starts, but if I try anything in the program it crashes.

file > open video i get (an unhandled exception has occurred in your application. if you click continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click quit, the application will be shut down immediately. Exception of type InvalidActiveXStateException was thrown)

I can't figure it out.

But myself what i'd like to see is an option to make a video that i could edit in virtualdubmod (which is a version of VirtualDub that can open and edit MPG2 videos) or even let me do the editing TMPEGENC which just crashes and won't open the videos.
almurray
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ksb

Thank you for a wonderful program. I think that reVue is really great.

I value editing commercials out of my RTV content after uploading them to DVArchive, and freeing space by rewriting the stream to a new video. I also use reVue to watch the programmes on the computer.

I am all about usability features, as the core functionality of this program is fine, and suits my needs much better than any other viewer. Hopefully these are not too much work for the benefits gained.

Pause, back 7, jump to new posn, skip 30 etc on a long movie tend to take a few seconds (up to 20 on the longest programmes) to happen. Anything that could be done to improve the time would be welcomed, at the minimum a busy cursor could be implemented. That would make reVue much more usable. I am sometimes afraid that I queued up several slow operations (oops).

One feature which I would _very_ much like to see when I write a new video in RTV format is DVArchive's .xml file being recreated with all the original data like the name etc recreated along with the ndx and evt file. Thus the new video would require no work to see and use in DVArchive, or stream back to RTV. Beautiful. I know I can munge the original XML manually, but the 'ideal' viewer would do this for me.

Along the same lines, maybe I could choose my new video destination filename? (If I chose the same filename as the original movie, I would like the original to have a .bak put on the filenames of each of the source files. An option to delete, rename with .bak or move to a location (specify the move-to location in the preferences) would be an enhancement on this maybe for other people with different tastes. For me the bak idea works best.) This would be so sweeeet

The .ndx of a newly written video does not seem to contain the same (or same sized) content blocks of the original. This is a minor niggle though.

I happen to have two monitors on my computer. If I could float the control panel and time bar I could put it on the opposing screen, and see my movie full screen. Woo!! Yeah BABY! ;o)

One very nice thing about the program is the time bar. If I could zoom in around the current location, that would allow me to see a bit more accurately where I am when the content blocks are small compared to the length of the movie or the window is small. This would help editing out commercials. Mpbono and KSteele are right that accurate frame control would be a major help.

Your consideration of these ideas is appreciated and if you implement any then I thank you in advance.

Al Murray
ksb
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

almurray wrote:
Thank you for a wonderful program. I think that reVue is really great.
You're welcome!

almurray wrote:
Pause, back 7, jump to new posn, skip 30 etc on a long movie tend to take a few seconds (up to 20 on the longest programmes) to happen.
I think that the delay is WMP -- I just noticed it myself this weekend while editing a 4 hour video for a friend. I'll look into it if I pick up the code again.

almurray wrote:
One feature which I would _very_ much like to see when I write a new video in RTV format is DVArchive's .xml file being recreated with all the original data like the name etc recreated along with the ndx and evt file.
Ahh...those XML files didn't exist when I wrote reVue. Gerry added them in DVA 3.,0 and I haven't update reVue to deal with them. It's not difficult, though.

almurray wrote:
Along the same lines, maybe I could choose my new video destination filename?
Another fine suggestion!

almurray wrote:
The .ndx of a newly written video does not seem to contain the same (or same sized) content blocks of the original. This is a minor niggle though.
Minor!!! It should be major because it's the only one that's not an issue related to my code. The output files are actually created by RTVtools.

almurray wrote:
If I could float the control panel and time bar I could put it on the opposing screen, and see my movie full screen.
I've thought of that in dealing with a UI redesign if I pick up the code again.

almurray wrote:
One very nice thing about the program is the time bar. If I could zoom in around the current location, that would allow me to see a bit more accurately where I am when the content blocks are small compared to the length of the movie or the window is small.
THis is much harder than it should be because of the way that the program is written. However, at one beta tester's suggestion, I did add a feature to hel pwith this. Hold down the Shift key while editing and the mouse and keyboard movements are made 10 times more sensitive.

Thanks again for your kind words. I hope to someday pick up the reVue code again and rewrite it. However, rather than making everyone wait for me, I released the source code a few weeks ago. The outlook for ReplayTV is pretty bleak and that makes doing more development less interesting, even though I have four units. A little encouragement from DNNA would really energize the development community.

Cheers, Ken
c0d3r
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject: Command line version Reply with quote

Is there any chance that you could separate the GUI from engine so that one could run the app via script or batch?
Bigjohn
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Command line version Reply with quote

c0d3r wrote:
Is there any chance that you could separate the GUI from engine so that one could run the app via script or batch?

you can run the rtv tools 'batch'. revue is a gui that enables a bit more accuracy in editing the commercials visually. If you want batch, use RTVtools.

Value hosting, Personal service
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> reVue All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: